Friday 30 September 2011

The Terrace, Ilfracombe, N. Devon

As I am sure you are now aware, if you have read the surprise Death by Chocolate Wedding Cake post, it was mine and Mr VST's first wedding anniversary the weekend just gone and we headed North for a long weekend break. We were staying about a twenty minute walk outside of Ilfracombe and having settled ourselves in to our B & B we strolled into town. I was surprised at how big Ilfracombe is and the choice of restaurants available and not only that but the choice of restaurants with vegetarian options, and more than one option at that! 

Having wandered around checking all these places out and going for a drink in Ilfracombe's oldest pub (which was great by the way, mobile phones are banned!) we decided on The Terrace Tapas Bar and Restaurant. They had an early evening deal on which was as much tappas as you can eat for £10 per person and once again there were plenty of vegetarian options. You could order two options at a time per person and I can't remember now every dish that we had but I'll try my best.

I'll start with my favourites, the Spanish tortilla was lovely and light with a delicate, sweet flavour as Queen Delia describes it in her recipe. I also really liked the baked aubergine dish which was full of flavour. The mushrooms cooked in sherry on sourbread toast were delicious too. 

The deep fried mozzarella sticks in breadcrumbs didn't really taste of anything to me but they seemed to be popular with everyone else in the restaurant and Mr VST too. The patatas bravas were disappointing. The potatoes themselves were fine but they seemed to be covered in a slightly spicy ketchup and mayonnaise. I can truthfully say I've made better myself.   

It was lively and busy in the restaurant and the service was quick despite the fact that there were a few large parties in there. The food was good value and there was a great vegetarian selection. 


No comments: