Saturday 3 September 2011

Crumpet Success

I had nearly given up on making my own crumpets following the previous two efforts. The first was an absolute disaster. The second attempt was better, in fact I finished off a couple of those crumpets today (they had been in the freezer don't worry!), but still not quite right. 

I continued in my search for home made crumpet perfection and having seen the Hairy Bikers making them on you tube I thought that the recipe might actually work. Here is is if you're interested.
I followed the recipe to the letter, including using whole milk and not filling the crumpet rings up all the way.
I did have to help some of the bubbles to pop but then so did the hairy bikers.
Look! A home made crumpet with holes in!
It takes ages to cook a whole batch of crumpets, I made about 16 or 17 out of this recipe. I think it took me over an hour to cook them all. They cook better at a medium to low heat otherwise they burn on the outside before cooking in the middle. Also the last batch wasn't as holey as the first, I think this was because the bicarbonate of soda effect had worn off due to the time, I'd probably split the dough next time and add the bicarb in two goes to ensure all crumpets were as holey as they should be. Very glad to have finally had some true success with these. They are so light and fluffy and not at all rubbery like the ones you buy. 

No comments: