Sunday 4 September 2011

Granary Bread

The week before last Mr VST and I had fluffy, tasteless, cotton wool granary rolls with our Quorn burgers and as they were so tasteless I agreed that I would make some of my own.  

 Last Sunday we went to Otterton Mill and picked up a bag of their granary flour.
 I followed my usual River Cottage bread recipe and made eight rolls and a 750g loaf.
 The loaf was bigger than the ones I usually make and took quite a bit longer to bake properly. In fact it probably needed even longer than I left it but it still tasted lovely. 
The rolls were great too and I had one for my tea with cheese and sun-dried tomato chutney that my Mum had made last year. Absolute perfection, even if I do say so myself.
The granary flour smelled amazing from the moment I opened the bag, right through the dough stage and course the baking stage too. It is a really warm malty smell and taste too, the crust is especially tasty on these babies.

No comments: