Friday 16 September 2011

Applebeena

As I explained previously the apple master was purchased because of the kind donation of another bag of apples. 

It came into its own when making the applebeena. Applebeena is the River Cottage take on a well known brand of cordial.
I set Mr VST the task of peeling 1.8kilos of apples, they were quite small and there were a lot of them but he didn't mind. The apple master kept him entertained for a while!

Having now tested the apple master extensively I can say that it is awesome. It peels the apples very well and cuts them into a kind of spring which you can then cut in half to make little uniform slices. 
Apple Slinky

So we cooked down our apples, which after they were peeled came to about a kilo of apples.
The directions were to mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher once cooked, which we did.
Then you scald a jelly bag and leave the apple purée in it to drip over night .

The next day there was a disappointing amount of juice in the bowl. I whizzed the apple up in the food processor and we set it to drip again. We ended up with about 350ml of juice and added 245g of granulated sugar to this and warmed it to dissolve it. 
The cordial is lovely if a little sweet even for my sweet tooth. Pam does say 700g of sugar per litre of juice 'to taste' I'd probably start with about half of that and go from there! Glad we tried the applebeena though. If you have a LOT of apples then I would definitely recommend this recipe. I'd really like to try it again with a mix of apples and another fruit. 

No comments: