Sunday 25 September 2011

The Olive Branch, Ilfracombe, N. Devon

Sunday was our actual anniversary. We decided that we would go to the Olive Branch to eat Sunday evening, having checked out the menu the evening before, as it had many tasty looking vegetarian options and we liked the look of the place. 

It was our kind of place, clean, modern decoration with music playing in the background at just the right level and plenty of choice in terms of food and wine too.
We don't usually go for starters, my stomach is fairly small and I try and save space for desert, but Mr VST and I couldn't resist the whole baked Camembert with bread and chilli jam. We made the right choice! The chilli jam had just the right level of warmth and this contrasted beautifully with the warm, soft cheese. There was a selection of different bread and although I don't think it was traditionally (i.e. non-Chorleywood) baked the seeded bread was lovely. 
For our main meals I had ordered the vegetable tagine with cous cous and tzatziki. I was already pretty full up from the cheese and bread but this was delicious, packed with veggies and topped with almonds. I really enjoyed what I managed to eat of it. The tzatziki was a great addition to the usual mix. 
Mr VST went for the beetroot burger with potato wedges and salad. As you can see the wedges were proper home made wedges of potato. The beetroot burger was great too, tasty and packed full of seeds and topped with cheese. He loved it. Great place this, I'd like to stay there next time if we go back if the guest house is anything like the restaurant. 

No comments: