Saturday 9 July 2011

Squidgy Spiced Apple Cake

I had been buying delicious Pink Lady apples from the stall but last week they didn't have any so I bought some others instead and sadly they weren't very good. I couldn't face eating them on their own especially as the Pink Ladies had reappeared on the stall so I thought I'd bake with them instead. This recipe for squidgy spiced apple cake was one I'd been meaning to try for ages. 

I didn't have any dark muscovado sugar so I used molasses sugar instead. 

Ingredients:
Cake:
125g butter
225g dark muscovado sugar
2 eggs , lightly beaten
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300g cooking apples , peeled, cored and diced (about two medium sized apples, I would use more next time and probably grate them)

Topping:
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp unrefined demerara sugar

1. Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. 
2.Cream the butter and muscovado sugar in a food processor for a couple of minutes.


3. Mix the egg into the creamed butter and sugar.

4.Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a bowl and then add the creamed butter and sugar to it and fold together.


5. Stir the apple into the mixture.


6. It makes quite a stiff batter, spread it into a buttered, base-lined 20cm springform cake tin and bake for 1 hour, or until risen and browned. I didn't have a 20cm one, mine was bigger so I had a thinner cake. 


For the topping, mix together the honey and sugar and spread all over the top of the cake while it is still warm. 

Serve with custard or ice cream or eat it still warm from the oven. It is delicious! Mine wasn't very squidgy, I think I probably baked it for slightly too long especially as it was thinner. It was still a really moist, moreish cake though.

No comments: