Sunday 17 July 2011

Vegan Moussaka

I mentioned earlier in the week that there was a vegan week coming up. A friend has recently given up dairy and found that her chest cleared up so Mr VST thought that he might give it a go too and see if it made him less bunged up. He is a cheeseaholic so we decided he would need to wean himself off gently. He's been having oat milk on his cereal and in his tea as well this week just gone and next week we go full on dairy free and by dairy I mean milk based products. I never did understand why eggs were classed as dairy.

So I thought I'd start this evening with an offering from the post punk kitchen, an aubergine, potato moussaka with pine nut cream. It was my first time cooking with tofu and I was a bit nervous. It was a complicated recipe, well for me! There were three main parts, the pine nut cream, then the tomato sauce and finally the vegetables themselves before putting it all together in layers with some breadcrumbs.



Layering, layering


Very pretty end result
I was pleased with the result, the moussaka doesn't have a very strong taste but it was a good filling meal. Not bad for a vegan version!

No comments: