Sunday 24 July 2011

Quinoa, Black Bean and Toasted Cumin Seed Salad

Another recipe from Appetite for Reduction, another new ingredient, quinoa. I have eaten it once before this, with a curry, as an alternative to rice and I wasn't impressed. In this salad though with black beans, spring onions, tomatoes, lime juice and a little oil, it went down a treat and just as it says in the book it was better the day after once all the ingredients had soaked together. I toasted my cumin seeds as directed and added them to the salad but I couldn't really taste them. The quinoa made a good base for this salad with its light, grainy texture and slightly nutty taste.

 We had it with some of the left over pink coleslaw from earlier in the week and our first crop of home grown potatoes, which were a little disappointing compared to last year's creamy crop.

We also had some Linda McCartney vegetarian (and vegan) sausage rolls which are always a hit. 

No comments: