Friday 23 September 2011

The Sandsifter, Gwithian, Cornwall

I find myself a week behind on the blog once more so going back to last weekend we went down to Cornwall to celebrate my brother in law's 30th birthday. During the day the boys had been for a mountain biking session and we had arranged to meet up with some more people at the Sandsifter above Gwithian beach. The company was great and I managed to have a cuddle with a four day old baby which was lovely. The food was great too.

For us veggies there was more than one choice (yipee! and it wasn't goat's cheese and caramelised onion tart, double yipee!). Mr VST and I went for a burger each, the falafel burger and the mushroom burger. They both came with lovely, salty French fries and we cut the burgers in half and shared them. The falafel burger was served in a soft white bun with some iceberg lettuce and mayo (I think). The mushroom burger was a ciabatta, sliced lengthways and full of buttery, garlic mushrooms. The falafel was lovely, I wasn't so keen on the bun itself. The mushroom burger was absolutely delicious, definitely mine and Mr VST's favourite of the two. Prices were very reasonable too, I think it was about £8 per burger. 

We tried to resist desert, but as is often the case, this was futile and so we chose to share a chocolate fondant with chocolate ganache. It was served with clotted cream, as is compulsory for all deserts in Cornwall, and was truly mouth watering. The atmosphere was great, friendly and relaxed and the staff dealt with the varying and constant demands of our large party very well. If you're down that way I can definitely recommend popping in there. Oooh! and they do amazing hot chocolates with whipped cream and marshmallows too. 

No comments: