Sunday 4 September 2011

American One Crust Spiced Apple Pie

Another apple post as I am still trying to get through the mountain of cooking apples that Mr VST brought home from work. I love this pie, it's very easy to make and very tasty, once again the most annoying part is peeling, coring and chopping the apples. I am getting very tempted by one of Mr Fry's top gadgets, an apple peeler! 

It's a Delia recipe so, of course, I didn't follow it to the letter, not least because she says to use lard in her pastry. I used half vegetable fat, half butter and made it in the food processor not by hand and still made lovely, light and crisp pastry.
So you mix the apple, sugar, raisins and spices together and lay them on top of the pastry and just gather in all the edges as roughly as you like (my kind of recipe).
You are then supposed to use crushed demerara sugar cubes on the top. I used the sugar, not from cubes and it still creates the same crunchy topping.
Then you bung it in the oven and bake and hey presto, a lovely apple pie.



No comments: