Friday 9 September 2011

Apple Crumble

I love watching cooking programs on TV. My latest favourite is The Great British Bake Off, although I have to make sure that I have something tasty to eat when it's on as it really makes my mouth water! I enjoyed watching The Good Cook too and still have a few of them to watch. I really liked the look of the sticky toffee pudding, which I am yet to make, and the rhubarb crumble.

As you will have seen I have been working my way through apple recipes, chutney, pie, Bramley lemon curd, and fruit leathers. I had worked my way through nearly all of the apples and was planning on making an apple crumble with the last few when I was given another bag full!

Mr VST and I had looked at the Apple Master last weekend and I was sorely tempted but could not justify buying it for the four apples I had left. The new bag of apples gave me very good reason to buy it - yipee! I do love a good gadget. I'm usually more of an electrical gadget fan and not one of those people who collects one trick gadgets but I loved using this. Firstly after a little adjustment, which I also loved doing, real levers and nuts to move and unscrew, I managed to get it working perfectly. There is something very satisfying about seeing the simple mechanisms working away as you turn the handle and best of all it saves on claw hands from too much apple peeling!

Anyway, back to the recipe. I have my usual, very simple, crumble recipe from my Mum which I have used successfully but when I saw this lovely thick crumble on TV it looked special and I had to try it. There are no magic ingredients, it is just the quantities of them that are varied and this one uses a LOT of butter.


The result was that I made a ton of crumble! I had so much that even after topping my usual crumble dish and three ramekins I still had some left.


I baked the crumble as the recipe suggested for 35 minutes and it was nicely crunchy on top as crumble should be. It was so thick that the rest of it was more like a cake than crumble! It was very light though. 


No comments: