Monday 11 April 2011

Vegan Brownies or Energy Bars - You Decide!

Despite my disaster with the vegan chocolate blueberry cake the week before last when I saw this on one of my favourite food blogs I was intrigued and I had to try it. I think because I am ever hopeful that there is something remotely low in calories that could be good for me and satisfy my sweet tooth. It's a long shot I know! I bought the ingredients on Friday in my excitement and then had to wait until my return from London before I could try them out.

A large part of my job is managing expectations, sadly, in most cases, keeping them low. These were listed on the blog (well two blogs) as raw brownies. Now the recipe I use for brownies is Nigel Slater's, it is full of chocolate, eggs, sugar and butter and is absolutely mind-blowing. Finding a recipe without those ingredients that would match up was unlikely. I presented these to Mr VST, without telling him what the ingredients were, as home made energy bars. I think this was more realistic and managed his expectations. He tucked in and said that they were really tasty. I think they were OK. For some reason, and I think it was the dates, the base didn't gel together at all. When blended, the base ingredients were supposed to look like potting soil, unfortunately, mine stayed that way! I bought some dates which were fresh but not medjool, I think I will make sure I get the right ones next time. I also thought about mixing the 'icing' and base together and freezing them to see if that would work.

I bought whole walnuts and have a new appreciation for walnut shellers

Potting soil!

No that's not vegan ice cream!

2 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh what a shame you didn't like the base. I think medjool dates are definitely needed. I know someone that tried it without them and wasn't as happy with them.

Mrs Vegetarian Sweet-Tooth said...

Yep I think the key is in the dates. The Humdinger dried (stone-out) dates, which I snack on, are more moist than the fresh dates I used. I will definitely be trying this recipe again.