Saturday 30 April 2011

Carbo-loading with Pizza and Macaroni Cheese (with Leeks)

I've been reading over the race instructions for the Great West Run tomorrow and just realised that I should have been carbo loading for the last three days. Tonight's meal was planned, macaroni cheese with leeks but last night's pizza and garlic bread fest was a mistaken carbo load.

Mr VST had laser eye surgery yesterday and we were staying with friends nearby so that he could go back for his check up today. We had originally planned to have an Indian take away but we soon realised that, unless I was to spoon feed him, Mr VST probably wouldn't manage to eat curry, well at least not without making a mess and I'm pretty sure he didn't take a spare change of clothes!

I decided to go out for some frozen pizzas for dinner as these would be much easier, and less messy, for Mr VST to eat. Our lovely, patient, caring hosts already had some garlic bread in the freezer so my carbo loading started in earnest.

Moving onto this evening the macaroni cheese served the dual purpose of being very comforting following the surprising disturbance of being nurse/patient and also providing me with the carbs necessary for the run tomorrow.

When I was growing up my step-dad taught me how to make a very simple, and tasty version of macaroni cheese. It was one of the first meals I learnt how to cook. I was taught to cook a load of macaroni and then drain it and grate in a ton of cheddar, stir until the cheese melts, add ketchup and eat.

This evening I went for the more traditional version which involves the same cooking of macaroni but then adds the making of cheese sauce, adding a sliced leek to the sauce, mixing it all together, putting it into a dish and then grating a bit more cheese over the top before putting it in the oven.



It was inspired by this recipe from the BBC but I decided not to do all the faffing about with the infusing of milk etc and it was still pretty good. I have made it before but it's dangerously more-ish and loaded with calories so it is a rare treat.


So tomorrow I am due to run 13.1 miles eek! It is co-incidentally International Barefoot Running Day and although I won't be running completely barefoot I'll be running in my Vibram Five Finger Bikilas which is nearly as good. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: