Monday 1 August 2011

Veggie Mexican with Home Made Tortillas

Going along with the make your own bread theme I decided last Thursday to make my own tortillas for the usual veggie Mexican. There is a recipe in River Cottage Handbook No. 3: Bread but having done some research online I discovered that authentic recipes contained lard. Now of course I was never going to put lard in mine but other recipes added veggie friendly oil in them. I decided to go for this recipe but amended it slightly by using a quarter wholemeal flour. 


Using a quarter wholemeal flour made my dough a bit more 'thirsty' so I needed to add a bit more water than the recipe suggested. 

I rolled out 17 little balls, they were slightly too small and only made tiddly tortillas but they were very tasty.
They were much more substantial than the ones you buy and they didn't do that horrible claggy thing in your mouth either.
They went down very well indeed with the usual veggie mix with cumin, chilli and paprika.
...and I even remembered that I'd frozen some batches of refried beans but not until I had nearly finished cooking. Microwaves are good sometimes!

No comments: