Friday 19 August 2011

Beetroot and Caramelised Onion Tart

We have about 20 pots outside with a beetroot in each and now they are just starting to be ready for eating. I did a search on the BBC Good Food site for beetroot recipes and came across this one.

For the pastry you need:
175g wholemeal flour
100g porridge oats
100g butter
100g grated carrots

You put all of these in a food processor apart from the carrot which you are supposed to add once you've processed the rest of the ingredients to 'breadcrumbs'. I didn't do this I just put them all in together bit it turned out fine.


The pastry was really thick and quite difficult to roll out and I had to patch it into the dish.




Home grown beetroot

For the filling you need:
3 large onions , sliced
3 medium beetroot , peeled and grated
3 medium eggs
250ml milk (either cow's, goat's or oat milk)

While the onions were caramelising I grated the beetroot into the pastry case and beat the eggs and mixed them with (oat) milk, a bit of salt and pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg. Once the caramelised onions were added and the egg.milk mix I grated a little mature cheddar on top.

I popped the tart along with two mini tarts into the oven for 40 mins, adjusting the temperature as the recipe says and they all came out looking fantastic.
We had the tart with a few slightly strange accompaniments, stir fried cabbage and beansprouts and roasted turnip. It was just one of those weeks where I had strange random ingredients left that needed eating. The roasted turnip was lovely, like a cross between a potato and a parsnip and went quite well with the tart. The cabbage on the other hand not so great with this dish!
The tart itself was delicious. The pastry was the star of the show, I would definitely use it for other tarts and quiche type dishes. The filling wasn't full of flavour, the onions seemed to get a bit lost and the sweet beetroot flavour was quite subtle. I would definitely make this again though one I've thought of a way of jazzing up the filling a little bit more. I would also consider blind baking the case as it was a bit soggy in the middle.


No comments: