Sunday 28 August 2011

Sweet Potato Brownies

The wonderful Dan Lepard has been publishing delicious recipes in the Guardian each weekend and last weekend it was a recipe that replaced some of the sugar and butter in brownies was baked sweet potato. Recipes with unusual ingredients pique my interest and so I decided to give it a go. 

I baked my sweet potatoes and the skin peeled off quite easily. I scooped out the flesh as described in the recipe. I beat it together with the soft brown sugar.
...and then added the melted chocolate and butter.
I don't usually believe in nuts in brownies but this time I happened to have a packet of pecans in the cupboard and so I mixed them in with the chunks of chocolate.
When they came out of the oven they didn't quite look cooked but I trusted Dan and he was right about the cooking time.
They were good, nowhere near as good as my fall back, full fat, Nigel Slater recipe, but they were worth a try.

No comments: