Sunday 1 May 2011

Syrup Sponge Pudding with Home Made Custard

I really fancied pudding tonight, not just something sweet after dinner but a real pudding. I printed this recipe off years ago but haven't made it for ages. It was just right this evening and I had all the ingredients in the cupboards/fridge.

As I started to make it I realised that I didn't have any custard powder and ice cream was just not going to hit the spot this evening. I quickly googled some recipes for home made custard and found this simple one from the BBC. I didn't have a vanilla pod but I did have some nice vanilla essence so I started to make it. It never thickened up unfortunately and so I did another quick search and decided that the thing that was missing was cornflour. Not wanting lumpy custard I spooned a generous tablespoon (and a half) into a cup and mixed it with some water. I wasn't planning on adding the whole lot to my custard but being a bit tired after my run I lost concentration for a second and oops it was all in there turning my milky custard into more of a blancmange! Oh well Mr VST liked it and it wasn't unpleasant. Unfortunately we had to eat all the sponge pudding as it tends to go a bit hard if you don't eat it straight out of the microwave.

No comments: