Saturday 7 May 2011

Scones

My Mum bakes the best scones in the world. Well I would say that wouldn't I but she really does and usually they are huge. I asked her for the recipe way back in 2006 and she kindly emailed it to me so here it is. I'm even sharing her 'secret', I hope she doesn't mind.


Scone Recipe (I made 9 scones with this amount)
 
 
The SECRET of soft light scones is to dust the baking tin and the scones with flour before baking!
 
Ingredients
Rolled with my new Olive wood rolling pin

8oz plain flour
1/2 tspn salt
1tspn bicarb of soda
2 tspn cream of tartar
1 1/2 oz butter
1 1/2 oz castor sugar
1 egg beaten and made up to 1/4 pt with milk
2 oz raisins
 
Sift flour, salt, bicarb and cream of tartar (or use 4tspns baking powder).  Rub in butter, stir in sugar and rasins.  Make a well in centre and pour in egg mixture.  Mix together - its quite soft and shouldnt be sticky if it is add a bit more flour.
 
Roll out nice and thickly at least 1/2 inch but i make mine thicker.  Cut out scones
 
Grease and flour dust baking tray, then dust scones with flour too.
 
Bake in oven for 10mins on 220c or gas 7
 
Then eat while hot making sure you dont get indigestion!!!


These were Mr VST's. I do my scones properly with jam and the clotted cream. I think this proves that I do it the right way round and I quote "Executive general manager David Collas wrote: "I can confirm that we at The Ritz London would prefer to encourage the 'jam then cream' option as this is the traditional method of preparing scones."
The Devon vs Cornwall debate has been going on forever it seems! Despite being Cornish Mr VST makes his the Devonshire way around! Here's an article from the Guardian for more info.

No comments: