Thursday 19 May 2011

Beetroot Risotto

    Last year my colleague had a bumper crop of beetroot and was kindly bringing them into the office to share with me. I'm not a huge fan of beetroot to be honest. I wouldn't choose to eat unlike Mr VST who loves it. When we were given about 6 all in one go I decided to google some beetroot recipes and came up with this one from Ocado. I adapted it slightly as Mr VST and I don't really like blue cheese and obviously we don't eat chicken stock either. So here it is: 
      Serves 4 (Small portions) 
        50g Butter
      • 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
      • 2 Small Raw Beetroot, peeled and grated
      • 150g Risotto Rice
      • 600ml Swiss bouillon vegetable stock
      • 125g Soft Goat's cheese

      1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the onion until softened. 
      2. Add the beetroot, I grated the beetroot directly into the saucepan, wearing rubber gloves! Cook for 1-2 minutes.

      3. Add the rice, stir in well. Cook for 2 minutes.
      4. Add about 500ml of the stock, stir in well, simmer at a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, adding the rest of the stock if it gets dry.
      5. Remove from the heat and stir in the goat's cheese.

      Enjoy! It is a subtle, slightly sweet tasting, creamy risotto and it has become one of our favourites. The other recipe I found when I googled beetroot recipes was a recipe for beetroot brownies. They were incredibly moist but still very beetroot-y. They went down well at work but I couldn't get over the beetroot smell and taste in my brownies.

      No comments: