Wednesday 8 June 2011

Raw Brownies aka Energy Bars Mark 3

OK so here it is the ultimate raw non brownie aka energy bar. I have made them twice before and they were nice but not great and certainly nothing like brownies. I have never put icing on my brownies. Well I did put some chocolate butter cream icing on the beetroot brownies that I made because I was trying to mask the beetroot but its not necessary on my usual recipe that's for sure. I said the first time that I made them that I was thinking of mixing the 'icing' and the base together and I finally did it this week.

The ingredients are
For the base:

1 cup (110g) walnuts
1 cup (150g) medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup (30g) cocoa powder

For icing
1 avocado
70 g/2.5 ozs raw honey (the honey makes them non-vegan though) or agave nectar
30 g/ 1 oz. cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
dash salt
dash cinnamon

Method:
1. Mix the base ingredients together in a food processor until they look like potting soil. 

2. Blend the 'icing' ingredients together in the food processor.

3. Mix the icing and base together and then pat down into a small tin.

4. Freeze for at least an hour and then eat. 

As you can see they look much more like brownies than the layered ones. They have a kind of chewy texture. They were nicer than the previous attempts because of this. 

No comments: