Sunday 19 June 2011

Spinacio's, St Ives

Nearly a year ago now I was lucky enough to have a fantastic hen weekend down in Cornwall. Part of the weekend involved going to Spinacio's restaurant in St Ives. I had the most delicious sweet potato mash with ginger, chilli and grilled haloumi cheese. It was so good that I tried to recreate it for Mr VST when I got home. Unfortunately it wasn't quite as good as the restaurant version and I promised that I would take him there to try the real thing.

We finally got round to going there on Friday - my hen weekend was last August! There were six of us altogether and we tried a good variety of the food although I can't remember what everyone had.

To start I went for the Cornish oven baked feta with onion marmalade. It was truly delicious. The feta was creamy and not too tangy and complimented perfectly by the sweet onion marmalade. It also came with a small green salad and a slice of bread.  Mr VST went for the walnut and beetroot pate which came with cheese straws. This was also delicious and the only (rare) complaint from Mr VST was that there was quite a lot of it for a starter! Mr VST went for more beetroot for his main which was a beetroot burger. It was a lot of grated beetroot in a crispy shell. He enjoyed it but had OD'd on beetroot a little. I had little mushroom pies which were made with a cheesy pastry and filled with mushrooms and gravy and served with potato wedges, peas and carrots. The little pies were mouth watering.

We were extremely full by this point and had a break in between our mains and pudding and then shared one between two. Mr VST and I went for the polenta chocolate cake with ice cream. The chocolate cake was thick and chocolatey but also very light. I'm not sure what the polenta did to it but I would definitely recommend it.

No comments: