Saturday 18 December 2010

Work Christmas Meal

Some people dread their work Christmas party but not me. I'm lucky enough to have a great job that I love and  lovely colleagues, who are all very different characters but genuinely fond of each other.

We went to Carluccio's for our Christmas meal but started with a few mulled wines in a local pub first (at about 4pm).

The meal at Carluccio's was a 5 course extravaganza. We were greeted with prosecco and Christmas crackers (with chocolate Santas in them) followed by starters. Lots of people had the antipasto but I went for the spicy parsnip soup which was nicer than I was expecting. It was quite delicate in flavour and a very light soup rather than the thick creamy stuff that I make.

This was followed by lasagne de verdu, a lasagne made with mushrooms and courgettes which was nice but pretty average. I was not disappointed by my pudding though. The chocolate bread and butter pudding or pasticcio di cioccolato as it was called was absolutely delicious. It had just the right amount of chocolate.

We were then served coffee and chocolates and cheese at the same time! I'm not a big coffee drinker but the chocolate was delicious. The cheese was served on plates for two which had giant crackers on and three small blocks of cheese, one was a hard, taleggio type cheese, there was a soft port salut type cheese and a blue one too. I did try the blue cheese but I still don't like it. This was served with celery and honey. I've never tried honey with cheese before but it was good!

We also had rather a lot to drink and I wasn't feeling my best this morning when I got up to go to work and it didn't occur to me to check that I was actually needed. Turns out I wasn't and I could really have done with a bit more sleep. Oh well. Feeling very Christmassy now and am off to another Christmas party with my friends in Cornwall this evening.

What did you do for your work Christmas party this year?

No comments: