Monday 20 December 2010

Gingerbread Cake with Orange Icing

I made this gingerbread cake to take to our Kernow Christmas meal. The recipe called for '2 tbsp stem ginger (from a jar), chopped'. I had seen some root ginger at the local market stall and thought that this was the same thing, halfway through the recipe, I phoned my mum to check and she informed me of the differences.



The recipe called for two tablespoons of stem ginger, I used about a tablespoon sized lump of the fresh ginger anyway. I also don't like the taste of ground ginger so much so I used a teaspoon and a half of ground ginger and made the rest up with mixed spice. 

I baked it and it took about ten minutes longer than the recipe suggests. The orange icing was easy to make and I didn't grate the orange rind as they suggest in the picture but it turned out OK. I was worried that it didn't look as good as the picture, it's different maybe even better and it tastes pretty good too. 


No comments: