Thursday 27 January 2011

Cornish Fairings - First attempt

I saw this Cornish Fairings recipe in the Guardian over the weekend and calculated them to have about 100 calories a biscuit which is a good snack size calorie-wise.

So I followed the recipe to the letter, it being my first attempt. You melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a pan and then add it to the dry ingredients. You can't much go wrong with a butter, sugar and syrup base and the spices smelt delicious. I made sure Mr VST gave the mixture a stir as he is Cornish and I figured this made them genuine Cornish Fairings!

Mr VST stirring the mixture 
After combining the wet and dry ingredients you are supposed to roll the mixture into little balls. Well my mixture was far too wet for that and I had to spoon teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking tray. According to Hugh you bake the biscuits at a high temperature for 10 minutes, take them out, bash the tray and then bake them again. Well mine were a bit too crispy after only five minutes!

Gooey, fudge-like mixture
Second batch
They were very thin, crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle but really not what I expected. Here are mine:


If you want to see what they are meant to look like check these out. I think I'm going to try these again....

No comments: