Saturday 29 January 2011

Cherry Clafoutis

I had never even heard of a clafoutis until last year when I was on the phone to my Mum and she had to go and get the one she had just made out of the oven. Then they were everywhere! NQN was making it, My mum was making it and I saw it on a TV show too. It was one of those daytime TV shows 'cook yourself thin'/drop a dress size type cooking programs that I watched one day when I was feeling ill.

I used the recipe that my Mum sent me which is the one from The French Kitchen by Joanne Harris

Butter for greasing
750g of fruit (traditionally cherries)
125g plain flour
50g caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
300ml milk
icing sugar for dusting

1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/gas mark 4. Butter a shallow oven proof dish. Place fruit in dish.

Only 330grams here I'm afraid

2. Put the flour and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the middle. Whisk the eggs, add the vanilla and milk to the eggs and whisk. Slowly pour the milk in and mix into the flour, beating constantly until all the liquid has been added and you have a smooth batter. Pour over the fruit.


3. Bake for 40 minutes until the batter is firm to the touch and golden on top. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve just warm.

It rose beautifully in the oven

...and then sank quite a bit once I took it out.

Served with vanilla ice cream
It was very nice. Batter is batter I suppose and its like a cross between a pancake and a Yorkshire pudding with fruit in. A very satisfying pud indeed.

2 comments:

Not Quite Nigella said...

Your clafoutis looks amazingly good! I didn't realise that one could drop a dress size eating claufoutis though, that's great news!

Mrs Vegetarian Sweet-Tooth said...

I think that's only if you're replacing a chocolate laden pudding with Clafoutis! I worked it out to be about 190 cals per portion.